It’s the middle of the winter, so with a chill in the air, cold and flu season at an all time high which can often slow ya down, and the post holiday blues…hopefully over by now, I thought it appropriate to give you all a little lift: a blog post that I guarantee will make you more successful (what ever that means to you!) for the rest of the year and beyond.
Here are 14 quick strategies to get and keep yourself motivated:
1. Condition your mind. Train yourself to think positive thoughts while avoiding negative thoughts.
2. Condition your body. It takes physical energy to take action. Get your food and exercise plan in place and follow it just like your business plan. I just started back at the gym again, yay!
3. Avoid negative people. They drain your energy and waste your time, so hanging with them is like shooting yourself in the foot…or worse. Learn and practice the word NO!
4. Seek out the similarly motivated. This is why the Act Outside the Box community exists. The positive energy of like-minded, pro-active actors will rub off on you and you can model their success strategies.
5. Have big goals–but remain flexible. No actor biz plan should be cast in concrete, lest it become more important than achieving the goal. Know that every plan will alter.
6. Act with a higher purpose. I love this one. Any activity or action that doesn’t serve your higher goal is wasted effort–and should be avoided at all costs. Really “check in” with your gut…it never lies.
7. Take responsibility for your own results. If you blame (or credit) luck, fate or divine intervention, you’ll always have an excuse.
8. Stretch past your limits on a daily basis. Walking the old, familiar paths is how you grow old. Stretching makes you grow and evolve. I do something called “never dones”. Basically I take on, at least once a week, something I’ve never done before. It’s VERY exciting.
9. Don’t wait for perfection; do it now! Perfectionists are the losers in the game of life. I know this because I’m a recovering perfectionist! Strive for excellence instead.
10. Celebrate your failures. Your most important lessons in life will come from what you don’t achieve. Take time to understand where you fell short, then correct and continue.
11. Don’t make success your highest priority…make it happiness. Success is a feeling, not a thing or a circumstance. It is a place to come from, not to get to. Laugh and enjoy every moment of the inspired actions you’re taking toward your goals. If you can achieve that during the process, you ARE successful.
12. Avoid weak goals. Goals are the soul of achievement, so never begin them with “I’ll try …” Always start with “I will” or “I can.” Big dreams with short term attainable goals are the way to go. Remember, if you shoot for the moon and miss, you’ll still fall amongst the stars! (quote by Les Brown)
13. Treat inaction as the only real failure. If you don’t take action, you fail by default and can’t even learn from the experience. ACT Outside the Box.
14. Think before you speak. This should actually have been #1…but it’s a GREAT thing to leave you with. Keep silent rather than express something that doesn’t serve your purpose.
The above is based on a conversation with Omar Periu, one of the world’s best (and best known) motivational speakers.
And what is one of YOUR ways to get and stay motivated? Please share with your fellow acting community by commenting. Thanks!