My lightbulb moment came during the time I had just taken over ownership of Actors Connection, this being my new “flexible day job. In speaking daily with the agents, managers, and other industry folks that made up our business, they explained to me that acting was the commodity being traded and actors a “product” in a very saturated marketplace. That they had their pick and that marketing is what distinguished actors gaining representation or auditions along with their talent. They went hand in hand…only most actors hadn’t a clue. I sure never thought of it that way before.
Around the same time, someone had given me the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and upon reading it, it solidified everything I was learning on the job. Every business, including show business, is designed to solve a problem, help people, serve people, inspire people, etc. and successful ones also have the purpose of making money with the value that is created. This was the beginning of my own acting career flourishing.
So I doubled down and learned how to do what “normal” businesses did. I learned:
- How to rapidly grow my knowledge of the people, projects, and companies I wanted to work with and get to know their names, preferences, and ways to access them.
- How to leverage time by focusing on one medium, the “lowest hanging fruit” where I could create income and visibility easily and quickly.
- How to create and promote myself with the thought of what I offered and not what I wanted.
- How to target agencies and casting opportunities by narrowing my niche instead of running around trying to be all things to all people just to get a job, any job, in the industry.
- How to communicate with assurance, what my “product” offered, uniquely and consistently, in person and in writing and how to attract the right representation for me.
And best of all…
Since learning and discovering, educating myself and becoming successful as both a business owner and an actress, I’ve had the honor of helping thousands of actors and artists like you side step years of struggle and build amazing careers of their own.